About Me

My photo
I'm married 40 years, and have 3 grown sons, all of whom live in other states. I miss them all terribly. I've been crocheting and knitting for about 38 years now. Nothing fancy, just baby stuff, afghans, and dishcloths. I'm hoping to learn some new techniques, especially felting, using circular needles, and maybe knitting socks. I became a grandma for the first time, and so far only time, 3 1/2 years ago. My granddaughter's name is Lucy and is absolutely adorable! Due to living so very far apart, and a one month hospital stay in 2011, we've only seen her once. I hate living so far apart!

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Is it Just Me??

I'm not even halfway finished with the baby blanket I'm working on and I've already gotten myself involved in another project. I'm going to make a "Flannelghan." It's a CAL (crochet-along) on Crochetville. http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42711
I found the discussion last night and knew immediately that I had to make one for my husband. I ordered the yarn today from Knitting-warehouse.com. Bernat Super Value in Bright Yellow and Medium Navy. He's a big University of Michigan fan and these should be pretty close to the school colors. I can't wait to get started on it! If it turns out nice I'll probably make one for my oldest son. Not sure about colors, though, maybe a light gray and black. He's got cats and a dog and I think that's a good combination to not show as much fur.
Am I the only one out here who still uses the "standard" WW yarns like Red Heart Super Saver, Bernat Super Value, etc.? I don't know, but I just can't see spending a fortune on yarn to make a new pattern that I could possibly screw up or find I don't like or maybe not like working with that yarn. I still remember when Wintuk was only $1 or so a skein. Paying $5 and up per skein and needing 6 or 7 or more skeins or balls for the project really is prohibitive for me. I also feel like those that are able and willing to use the "elite" yarns are "Yarn Snobs" and look down their noses at those of us who still use the old standbys. And it seems to me that knitters are more apt to be "yarn snobs" than crocheters. And why is it that crocheters seem to be so much more accepting of knitters than the other way around? I learned to knit before learning to crochet, but I prefer crochet because I find I'm more likely to complete a crochet project, and for the most part crochet projects require less "finishing" than knit ones. Crochet goes faster....I guess that's the big reason for me.
I've yet to learn to knit using circular needles. They just seem cumbersome to me and awkward. I really do need to force myself to learn to use them, though. I pass up way too many projects because they call for circular needles. I also pass up those that call for knitting on 4/5 needles. I have small hands and it's really awkward for me to knit on 4 needles. I've tried and I soon loose interest.But I REALLY want to learn to knit socks, so I'm going to have to push myself on those too. But then I run into the expensive yarn issue. The current sock yarns are NOT cheap and I hate to spend the money and not finish the project. I guess I need to get over that mental block, don't I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also have several projects going at once. Several people do. I want to do the Lumberjack afghan too... one day. LOL. There's a Having fun Getting it Done CAL on Crochetville that you should read and see all the WIPs people are working on. It's fun. I prefer Red Heart, I feel it shapes better as I crochet and finish a project. And it does cost less. I've tried knitting but can't seem to stick with it, good luck to you! For the socks, can you take them out if you don't finish them to use the yarn for something else? I'm not sure with knitting.

Sleepystitcher said...

Thanks for the mention of the Have Fun Getting it Done CAL at Crochetville. I've joined the Flannelghan CAL, and have the yarn. Just need to finish this baby afghan first...it really needs to get mailed soon. Normally I have more than one going at a time, but I'm under time pressure on this one.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who still loves Red Heart!