About Me

My photo
I'm married 40 years, and have 3 grown sons, all of whom live in other states. I miss them all terribly. I've been crocheting and knitting for about 38 years now. Nothing fancy, just baby stuff, afghans, and dishcloths. I'm hoping to learn some new techniques, especially felting, using circular needles, and maybe knitting socks. I became a grandma for the first time, and so far only time, 3 1/2 years ago. My granddaughter's name is Lucy and is absolutely adorable! Due to living so very far apart, and a one month hospital stay in 2011, we've only seen her once. I hate living so far apart!

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Disrespecting Crafters

What is it with all the stores that traditionally sold fabric and yarn? Do they think that all the crafters have shriveled up and died? Or do they think that no one does crafts anymore? Now, I live in a semi-rural area, but one that is a major tourist destination as well. I don't have a JoAnn's, or a Hancock Fabrics close by. I didn't know until yesterday that there is a LYS here, and even at that, it's primarily a cross-stitch shop that also carries yarn. Now, K-mart stopped selling fabric at least 20 years ago, and my only local store can't make up it's mind if it wants to sell yarn and crochet/knitting supplies. Sometimes they have them, sometimes not. What's up with that? I have 2, soon to be 3 local Walmart stores. The one I shop at most discontinued their fabric two years ago, but still had a respectable yarn and supplies department. I discovered, much to my dismay, last week that they have not only moved that department, but shrunk it to only a few shelves. I was quite disappointed, needless to say. Yesterday I went to the other Walmart....the one that kept it's fabric department and had a larger yarn department. I was extremely upset to find they have also discontinued their fabrics and shrunk their yarn department to one side of half an aisle. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??? Do they really value our business so little? Believe me, I wouldn't darken Walmart's door if I had alternatives closer than 40 miles away. Yes, I do know I can buy yarn on line. I've done it. But when I'm looking to try something new, I'd like to be able to see it in person, to feel it to get an idea of how it will work for the intended project and whether or not I like the feel of it and think I will like working with it. In the meantime, what can we do about being treated like 10th class citizens by these companies? I'm certainly open to suggestions.

No comments: